- District Policies
- ASBESTOS MANAGEMENT PLAN
- The Pequea Valley School District's Asbestos Management Plan has been approved by the Board of Education and the Pennsylvania Department of Education. This plan is on file in the District Office and is available for review from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. There is also an abstract of the plan in each building which is available for the public to review. Questions about the Asbestos Management Plan should be referred to Chuck Daubert, Director of Facilities
& Grounds at 768-5513.
- The Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law (C.P.S.L.) requires school personnel to report situations where they have reason to suspect that a child may be a victim of child abuse. These reports will be made to the Childline Abuse Registry. The Law also directs schools to cooperate with the Children and Youth Agency, which is charged with protecting children and conducting the investigation. It is the policy of this district to comply with the C.P.S.L. to its fullest intent.
COMMUNITY USE OF FACILITIES
DISTRICT USE OF PHOTOS
Photos and videos of students are occasionally used in the advertisement of school activities to our community. These may be used in the district calendar or newsletter, video production, newspaper, district website, or other appropriate media to communicate the life of our district.
If parents DO NOT want their child’s photo used in this way, you must inform your child’s principal, in writing, of your intent.
INCLEMENT WEATHER PROCEDURE
- The decision to close school or delay for inclement weather will be reported on local radio stations by 6:30 a.m.
When weather conditions develop during the day which make an early dismissal advisable, students will be dismissed in the following order: Elementary schools, then middle school, then high school.
We will continue the use of our Rapid Communication Service to make students and staff aware of school delays and cancellations due to inclement weather. A call will be made to your primary phone number by 6:30 a.m. in the event of a school closing or delay.
Radio and television stations will be advised of these early dismissals. Please refrain from calling the schools during these situations as telephones are needed for emergency calls. Stations carrying school closing information include: FM 90.3, FM 94.5, FM 96.9, FM 103.3, AM 1490, FM 105.1, FM 101.3, and TV channels 27 and 8, and on-line at www.thewgalchannel.com, or the PVSD website (see Delays-Cancellations on the Home Page).
INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT (IPM) SYSTEM
Pequea Valley School District uses an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system for managing insects, rodents and weeds. From time to time, it may be necessary to use chemicals to manage a pest problem, and we will use the least toxic products possible. Notices will be posted in these areas 72 hours prior to application and for 2 days following the application. Emergency applications may be authorized without 72-hour advance notice only if pests pose an immediate threat to health and safety, such as a hornet’s nest near a playground.
Parents or guardians of students enrolled in the school may request prior notification of specific pesticide applications made at the school. To receive notification, you must be placed on the school’s notification registry. If you would like to be placed on this registry, please notify the district in writing and send to Chuck Daubert, Director of Facilities & Grounds, Pequea Valley School District, PO Box 130, Kinzers PA 17535. Please include your name, address, and telephone number. Also include your e-mail address if you would like to be notified electronically. Exemptions to this notification include disinfectants and antimicrobial products, self-containerized baits placed in areas not accessible to students, and gel-type baits placed in cracks, crevices or voids.
- The Pequea Valley School District, an equal opportunity employer, will not discriminate in employment, educational programs or activities, based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, or because a person is a disabled veteran or a veteran of the Vietnam Era. The district shall provide to all students, without discrimination, course offerings, counseling, assistance, employment, athletics and extracurricular activities. The district shall make reasonable accommodations for identified physical and mental impairments that constitute handicaps and disabilities, consistent with the requirements of federal and state laws and regulations. This policy of non-discrimination extends to all other legally protected classifications. Publication of this policy in this document is in accordance with the state and federal laws including Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Inquiries should be directed to the Superintendent, 504 and Title IX Coordinator, Pequea Valley School District, PO Box 130, Kinzers, PA 17535; 768-5530.
NOTICE OF IDENTITY OF PRIVACY OFFICER AND CONTACT PERSON
If you have a question about your rights to the privacy of your medical records maintained in this office or have a complaint about the
's maintenance of your medical privacy, please contact our Privacy Officer. Pequea Valley School District is the Accounting Supervisor, and can be reached at 717-768-5530. Pequea Valley School District
We promise to address any privacy concerns you might have promptly and with your right to medical privacy in mind. If you want to speak personally with our Privacy Officer while visiting our offices, please make your request with our Payroll & Benefits Program Assistant at 717-768-5585.
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES FOR PROTECTED HEALTH INSURANCE
POLICE AND CHILD ABUSE CHECKS ON VOLUNTEERS
While requiring school volunteers to obtain Acts 34 and 151 checks may be seen by some volunteers as an invasion of privacy or an unnecessary expense, we also recognize our responsibility for the safety of the students in our care. Therefore, we will not require police and child abuse checks on casual volunteers who appear in the schools infrequently for meetings, fund-raising activities, and those who are working under the direct supervision of district staff.
We do, however, require the following volunteers to submit evidence of both checks before commencing these activities:
• Volunteer coaches
• Volunteers on any overnight trip
• Volunteers who counsel students or meet one-on-one with a studentAct 34 and 151 application fees are to be paid by the volunteers.http://www.teaching.state.pa.us/teaching/cwp/view.asp?a=13&Q=32413 - Link to obtain forms.
- SEXUAL HARASSMENT/HAZING POLICY
- It is the policy of Pequea Valley School District that no sexual harassment or hazing be tolerated. Any employee or student who believes he or she has been subjected to sexual harassment or hazing may file a complaint by contacting the Superintendent or Director of Curriculum & Instruction.
- TOBACCO USE POLICY
- The Pequea Valley School District is a tobacco free district. School Board policy prohibits tobacco in any form at all times in school buildings, on school grounds, on school buses, at school bus stops, or in district-owned vehicles. This applies not only to students, but employees, parents, and visitors as well.
Students will be picked up and discharged at the same location every day. For any variation to occur, the change must meet all of the following criteria:
- Requests must be submitted in writing, at least 1 week in advance, to the Principal’s Office. No notes will be accepted by Bus Drivers.
- Changes for non-emergency reasons must be in effect for at least a 1-week period.
- Changes may be made only to existing bus stops.
- A different A.M. or P.M. stop can be assigned, but must be the same for each day of the week.
- Adequate seating exists.
Any changes to a student’s transportation schedule, such as change of address, custody, or baby-sitter arrangements, should be reported to the school office. The school secretary will notify the Transportation Office.