NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
For more information on our National Honor Society at PVHS, please contact Mr. Dale Amspacher.
How does the NHS selection process work?
The information listed below is a brief overview of the process by which students are selected for induction into the National Honor Society. This knowledge is made public so that everyone may understand the care and preparation that our school takes to produce accurate and just results. We want to make sure that each student under consideration for induction is given equal and fair representation before the selection committee.
The following is a general listing of the steps taken during the selection process:
- The NHS advisor obtains a list from the Guidance Office of those juniors and seniors who have an overall weighted GPA of 3.5 or higher during their high school tenure.
- A general announcement is then made to the student body on various days which tells them where and when an informational meeting will take place.
- The meeting takes place during school time, and the students receive an information packet that describes the three qualities of leadership, character, and service. Prospective candidates may ask questions of the advisor as he explains the selection process.
- It is then up to the students to petition people at home, school, and in the community to write written recommendations that describe the ways in which the student exhibits those three qualities previously listed. Approximately two to three weeks later, students turn in their packets to the NHS advisor who then copies each one and submits them to the Selection Committee for review.
- The Selection Committee convenes and discusses the merits of each candidate’s recommendations and referrals before deciding whether to grant him or her membership status.
- The advisor notifies all candidates who submitted a packet by sealed envelope as to whether or not they have been chosen to be a part of NHS. This usually occurs near the end of November.
- Pequea Valley holds the induction ceremony for new members, their family, and guests in early December.
- New inductees attend their first meeting in either mid December or January and begin to serve their school and community under the NHS advisor’s direction.