Return to Headlines

ONLINE School Lunch Applications are NOW AVAILABLE!

Pequea Valley School District will no longer provide a paper application for free or reduced price meal benefits. Please use this link to complete an application on line.

 Apply online at

Children need healthy meals to learn. PVSD offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $1.45; lunch costs $2.65 for High School; $2.55 for Middle School and $2.40 for elementary level. Your child(ren) may qualify for free meals or for reduced-price meals. Reduced price breakfast is $0.30 and lunch is $0.40. Below are some common questions and answers to help you with the application process.


If you have received a NOTICE OF DIRECT CERTIFICATION for free meals, do not complete an application. But do let the school know if any children in your household are not listed on the Notice of Direct Certification letter you received so that we can add them.


1.     Who can get free OR REDUCED PRICE meals/MILK?

·       All children in households receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly Food Stamps or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) benefits are eligible for free meals.

·       Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.

·       Children participating in their school’s Head Start program are eligible for free meals.

·       Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.

·       Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household’s income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.


Household size




































Each additional person:






Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals/milk if your household income falls at or below the limits on this chart.


2.     SHOULD I APPLY IF I RECEIVED A LETTER THIS SCHOOL YEAR SAYING MY CHILDREN ARE ALREADY APPROVED FOR FREE MEALS? NO, but please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Kimberly Ober at 717-768-5551 immediately.

3.     SHOULD I APPLY ONLINE? Yes! The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the old paper application. Visit or the Department of Human Services website at

4.     Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  No. Apply for all students in your household at the sam time. We cannot approve online applications that are not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.

5.     MY CHILD’S APPLICATION WAS APPROVED LAST YEAR.  DO I NEED TO FILL OUT A NEW ONE?  YES.  Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless you received a letter that your child is eligible for the new school year. 

6.     HOW DO I KNOW IF MY CHILDREN QUALIFY AS homeless, MIGRANT, OR RUNAWAY? Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel, or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call Deb Weaver, 717-768-5530.

7.     I GET WIC.  CAN MY CHILDREN GET FREE MEALS?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please apply online.

8.     Will the information I give be checked? Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

9.           If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

10.      What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: John Bowden c/o Pequea Valley SD, 717-768-5530.

11.      May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You, your children, or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals. 

12.      What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

13.      WHAT IF SOME HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS HAVE NO INCOME TO REPORT? Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please check the "no income box." However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

14.  We are in the military. do we REPORT OUR INCOME DIFFERENTLY? Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, or receive Family Subsistence Supplemental Allowance payments, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

15.  My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for? To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-692-7462 (1-800-451-5886 TDD number for individuals with hearing impairment.) Or online at

If you have other questions or need help, call 717-768-5551.



Gavin Scalyer

Food Service Director


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at and at any USDA office: or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.